Memorial weekend is right around the corner and no better way to spruce up a gluten-free hamburger than to add a little Caramelized Bourbon Bacon Jam, gluten-free of course! Be careful when it comes to buying booze, though; not all are gluten-free.

Side by Side Bacon Jam


Is Bourbon Gluten-free?

Bourbon is generally made of 51% corn or maize, both of which are gluten-free grains, while the remaining 49% can be made from a mash of assorted grains, including wheat, barley and rye. So how can it be considered gluten-free? The gluten protein is removed during the distillation process, so in some circles it’s considered gluten-free. Check out the full list of gluten-free alcohol beverages here.

Crispy Bacon

Ingredients for a Great Bourbon Bacon Jam!

Start off with extra crisp bacon, sautéed onions, shallots and garlic. Add in the “special sauce” and you have the makings for the best burger ever!

Sauteed Shallots & Onions

Caramelizing the sauce is the key to turning it into a jam that spreads deliciousness across your gluten-free bun!

Caramelized Bacon Jam

And it looks as good as it tastes! You just may want to double the batch because it’s easy to eat it straight from the jar!

Chunky Gluten-free Bacon Jam

Add a little aoli and maybe some Gouda or Blue Cheese and seriously take a bite of the best burger ever. I wish you could scratch and sniff my pictures. You would rush to the store to buy the ingredients right away! If you’re heading to a backyard BBQ, bring the bacon jam and you’ll be hounded for the recipe, I guarantee it!

Gluten-free Bourbon Bacon Jam


Have a Favorite Pin Board?

Just pin me to your favorite Pinterest board for a quick reference to the recipe.

Pinterest Bacon Jam Collage

GF Caramelized Bourbon Bacon Jam

Serves 6
Prep time 15 minutes
Cook time 30 minutes
Total time 45 minutes
Dietary Dairy-free, Gluten-free
Meal type Condiment
Occasion Barbecue
Reinvent your burger with this amazing gluten-free Caramelized Bourbon Bacon Jam! If you love bacon, don't miss this recipe for the best condiment ever!


  • 1 1/2lb Bacon (cooked crisp)
  • 1 Large Sweet Onion (chopped)
  • 6 Large Shallots (chopped)
  • 4 cloves Garlic (minced)
  • 1/2 cup Bourbon
  • 1/2 cup Pure Maple Syrup
  • 1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
  • 1/2 cup Coconut Palm Sugar (or brown sugar)
  • 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon Smoked Paprika


Step 1
Preheat oven to 450 degrees
Step 2
Line a cookie tray with aluminum foil and place bacon slices on it. Place in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until bacon turns cripy but does not burn. Transfer to paper towel ti remove excess grease.
Step 3
Chop shallots and onions and place in a saute skillet with a small amount of bacon grease from the drippings of the cooked bacon.
Step 4
Cook onions over medium heat until until they start to become translucent. Add the minced garlic and cook for about one minute more.
Step 5
Add the smoked paprika and chili powder. Stir to combine.
Step 6
Increase heat to medium high and add the Bourbon and maple syrup. Boil for about two to three minutes, stirring constantly.
Step 7
Add balsamic vinegar and coconut palm sugar. Continue to boil and stir for about three more minutes.
Step 8
Chop the bacon into small chunky pieces and add to sauce. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, allowing the mixture to thicken.
Step 9
Transfer to jars and place in the fridge until you are ready to slather it on your burger!

2 comments on “Gluten-free Caramelized Bourbon Bacon Jam”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *